June 19, 2008
My peregrine parents are off again on a longer-than-a-month peregrination in the Himalayas. Base camp in Jammu. Off to visit some of the most beautiful and not the most safe places. Yes, the disputed territory as my American friends would refer to it and nothing more. It is so much more, it is animate, it is a part of our hearts. I am not the kind to support quarrels over pieces of land that cost human lives but a map of India with the "disputed territory" taken off of its peak undoubtedly breaks my heart.Growing up seeing that map everyday with Mother India embossed over it in all her beauty and glory, crowned with Kashmir, imbibes in you the patriotic feelings from the very onset. You grow up and start supporting peace, importance of human life, the cause that any reason, however strong, must be considered worthless over loss of lives, with all the fervor you have. But seeing that Kashmir could slip away does jiggle the nerves. Why can't I be the adult and just say, "Oh let them have it, be done with it and live in peace"? I think because I support justice with as much fervor. I search for answers. I get carried away. But before I do, backward to the introductory discussion.
So my parents are out to visit that legendarily spectacular Gulmarg where they had honeymooned 36 some odd years ago... and Wagha Border and Vaishno Devi... and on it goes. I think this trip pretty much sums up all of India for them -- they have been everywhere. Now they dream of Kailash ManSarovar... Keep up the peregrine spirits, my young darlings!

No comments:
Post a Comment